Monday, December 7, 2015

the flower of the sun.

 You never bought me flowers.

Not even when I asked you to.

And every time I pinned a boutonnière to your left pocket,

You took it off.

You told me it bothered you.

And I would nod

And say "okay."

But it wasn't okay.

Because I love flowers more than I love most things.

My favorite memory is of me standing in a field filled with sunflowers that were taller than me,

I was wearing a white dress, my feet were bare

And in that moment I decided that sunflowers are my favorite flower.

I've always wanted to remind people of the sun,

Something that is bright,

Something that is yellow,

Something that is happy.

But I think I might remind people of something a little less bright,

Maybe a bluebell,
Mellow,
Quiet,

A little less happy,
A little less noticeable than a sunflower.

And that's okay.

You never bought me flowers.

Not once.

And I've been thinking that maybe that's why you're gone now. 

Because even though I may not be the sun,

Even though I may not be bubbly,

Or yellow,

Or bright,

I'm still a flower. 

And flowers deserve to be given flowers,

A bouquet of flowers,

With a ribbon tied around the stems,

A bow connecting a dozen sunflowers,

That's all I ever wanted. 

You're all I ever wanted.

But I've been thinking that maybe it's time for me to pick my own flowers,

Tall, beautiful sunflowers.

Yellow, big, bright. 

And when I look at them they will remind me that maybe someday I can be the sun.

To remind me that maybe someday someone will buy me a bouquet of flowers,

With a ribbon tied around the stems in a bow.

I hope he will know that I love sunflowers.

I hope he will look at me like I am a sunflower,

I hope I will remind him of a sunflower,

Even though I might be more like a bluebell.

 























5 comments:

  1. I LOVE FLOWER POSTS.

    i wrote one out and never posted it because it was soooo cheesy this one was WAY better haha. i loved the boutineer part and everything else. miss you kailee hogge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, you really reminded me of the sun, especially on bad days when I would see you in the halls and you'd smile. you are a light, and this post is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I hope he will look at me like I am a sunflower" so so good. your writing kills me. you deserve flowers. I'm 100% sure about that.

    ReplyDelete